12 Things to Know About Our Style Crush, Jenna Coleman

On Victoria, Jenna Coleman wears amazingly over-the-top period costumes that channel the 1800s. But when she's not portraying Queen Victoria in the PBS historical drama, the British star's ensembles are just as eye-catching. In fact, we've been enamored with the 31-year-old actress's fashion choices ever since she starred as time-traveling schoolteacher Clara Oswald in Doctor Who—and she's been winning red carpets ever since. From her favorite designers and her vintage obsession to the key accessories she can't live without, we asked Coleman to spill all her style secrets for InStyle's June issue. Scroll down for 12 things we learned.

Quick Fix

Luca Teuchmann/WireImage

"Tailoring is key," said Coleman. "I'm 5'2" and curvy, so I often try on dresses and think, 'This will never work.' But once something is fixed to your exact proportions, it's absolute magic."

Go-To Shops

jenna_coleman_/Instagram

"For basics I like & Other Stories. And Zara always has prize pieces. Most of the time I shop vintage, though. I recently discovered Vestiaire Collective online, and there's an incredible store in Yorkshire, where we film Victoria, called Space. I found a Christian Dior coat from the 1970s there for a reasonable price and gave it to my grandma."

Off-Duty Outfits

Neil Mockford/Getty

"Isabel Marant is great for a low-key look. I also like to pair tailored Rachel Comey trousers with a striped T-shirt or a polo-neck to channel Audrey Hepburn's effortless style from Funny Face."

Must-Have Accesories

David M Benett/Getty

"I carry my dark green vintage Chanel bag all the time. My go-to piece of interesting jewelry is a big charm bracelet from my grandma. I also have an old burgundy Gucci belt that works with anything."

Fluid Fashion

David M. Benett/Getty

"I like mixing masculine and feminine pieces. I'm really into bohemian looks with a grungy, slightly tomboyish edge. In general, I try to create a mood with my outfit and just keep it playful."

Style Splurge

VALERY HACHE/Getty

"I'm a sucker for a dress, in particular. If there's a really beautiful and interesting dress, I'll always be taken by it. It's easy to convince myself on a piece like that, because I can keep using it for weddings or day-to-day."

Travel Transformation

Alex B. Huckle/GC Images

"Style is so weather-related, and I think there's something quite similar between New York and London, in a way. I always become more experimental when I'm in New York and digging through vintage stores there. It's interesting to see what being away from home can bring out in you."

Timeless Trends

jenna_coleman_/Instagram

"We look at portraits from the 1870s to create costumes for Victoria, and it's funny how certain Victorian details influence modern designers' current seasons. For instance, it was interesting to see black velvet ribbons pop up in Erdem's recent collection after we've gone through so many of them this year on the show. It's proof that things really do keep coming back around."

Outerwear Obsession

Marc Piasecki/WireImage

"I'm quite into a shoulder pad at times. It's all about fit. I always look for vintage blazers and coats, and Vivienne Westwood has really interesting shapes. If you find a good one, you keep hold of it."

Favorite Shoes

David M. Benett/Getty

"I'm living in a pair of black Church's brogues at the moment, and my Stella McCartney velvet flatforms are amazing. I'm really drawn to texture."

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7qrrSrbClnV6YvK57wp6jnpqinsG6e5BrZK2gmaO0tHnKp6awZZGXvLbAjKisq2WjqcatsYycqa6rmGK3prrNmmScp5yauqK6